The ‘green’ season in Nicaragua runs from May to October. It’s a little wetter than other months, but don’t let this put you off. You’ll find the intermittent rain showers come and go quickly and rarely interrupt the day’s activities. In fact, off the top of my head I can think of 10 reasons why the green season is a great time to visit:
1. The verdant green valleys – The name speaks for itself – green season. The tropical dry forest of the San Juan del Sur region blooms into a lush green this time of year. The showers push the dry season away bringing color and life to endless tropical plants.
2. Hidden waterfalls – The hills in this region are full of great hikes. If you look hard enough you may just find a hidden waterfall on one of these excursions. Check out the hike behind Villas De Palermo Hotel & Resort for a hidden natural gem.
3. Midday rain showers – Nothing cools down the Nicaraguan heat like a good rainstorm. Just when the heat builds, a rain cloud will make its way in from the ocean and cool the temperature back down.
4. Empty beaches and great surf – If you are looking to surf, there is no better time to visit than during green season. San Juan del Sur has some of the best surfing in Nicaragua. The waves are great, the water is warm and the waves are less crowded than other times of the year.
5. Happy cows – The lush green fields provide great grazing land for the horses, donkeys and cows that roam the region. You’ll see much healthier, well-fed animals during the green season and that’s something we all like to see!
6. Birds and butterflies – Butterflies and moths of every color are bountiful during the green season. You can find them everywhere from the beaches, hillsides, as well as right in town. Along with the beautiful insects, the season brings an abundance of tropical birds.
7. Sunsets – The scattered clouds and the luscious green landscapes provide the perfect backdrop for the picturesque Pacific Ocean sunsets. Make sure you grab your camera; the sunsets in San Juan del Sur are unrivaled.
8. Less traffic – Getting around town and to the nearby beaches is a breeze during green season; and certainly easier than around Christmas and Easter. Feel free to rent a car to help you explore the coast; you’ll never have any trouble finding a place to park. There are car rental places located right in San Juan del Sur.
9. Less haze – Towards the end of the dry season the dry land emits a layer of dust that coats the roads, gets in your shoes and can make for hazy views. With the rains the dust is washed away and a clearer, almost shiny, light returns.
10. Green season prices – The best thing we love about green season is the lower prices. Yes, you can save some of your own green and visit San Juan del Sur for a great green season discount! It’s the perfect time for a budget friendly vacation. Here are a selection of vacation rentals that will get your travel buds tingling.
What’s your favorite reason to enjoy green season in Nicaragua?