Here at San Juan Live we’re conscious of the magnitude of need in Nicaragua. The good news is that there’s a group of wonderful non-profits and socially conscious businesses that try very hard to support the local community and make a real difference to local lives. From supplemental education for youth and programs for people with disabilities, to environmental awareness and animal care, you’ll find a program with a heart for just about every need in San Juan del Sur.
But while their missions may be different, they all have one thing in common… the need for additional funding.
The work that these programs do is vital to the wellbeing and development of the local community. Which is why this holiday season San Juan Live is hosting a “Flash Mob” of festive fundraising and everyone is invited to join!
Here’s how it works:
Festive Funding Flash Mob Rules:
1. Nobody is allowed to donate more than $25. It sounds crazy, we know, but we believe we can make a big impact with small donations wrapped in a lot of love. The total cost of our holiday wish list is $1,000. We’re looking for 40 people to donate $25 each. It’s that simple. But here’s the best part, if we reach our goal then San Juan Live will make a $1,000 matching donation! We’re coming along side each of these wonderful organizations to give back to the community that we love so much.
2. I know what you’re going to ask… is my donation tax deductible? The answer is that some of the organizations are certified 501(c)3’s in the US, and others are not. Therefore it depends on which organization that you donate to. On the wish list below, we’ve specified which organizations are able to provide you with certified tax deductions.
3. Any money that we collect above and beyond the specified goals of the wish list will go directly to that organization to use at their discretion for their program’s additional needs.
4. At San Juan Live, we’re working for free on this fundraising campaign, so we have no overhead. We promise to ensure that 100% of the money raised through this campaign goes directly to the organization specified on the wish list.
5. This is the most important one. When you make your donation, be sure to indicate “SAN JUAN LIVE FLASH MOB” on your donation and send us an email saying you’ve joined our Festive Funding Flash Mob so that we can track and match the donations ensuring the money is directed to the right place.
Together we can make it happen!
Here’s our Festive Funding Wish List:
1. Kindle Tablets for the San Juan Day School – $200
The San Juan del Sur day school is hoping to introduce a new math and science curriculum using an entirely online forum with the Khan academy. Technology is critical to the educational development of these young minds. By purchasing kindles for the classroom and implementing this new program into the San Juan Day School, we’ll be helping children within the community access a higher education. You can donate directly to the San Juan Day School here. *501(c)3 certified donation.
2. Books for Escuela Adelante – $200
Escuela Adelante needs books for the 80+ students in their English language course. This supplemental education program is dedicated to honoring the unique needs of students of all ages – whether it means preparing for a successful career as an entrepreneur or preparing for a university degree. Supplying books for the students in this program is critical to the success of the students. You can donate directly to Escuela Adelante here.*501(c)3 certified donation.
3. Computer and Library Supplies for the Mobile Library – $200
The Mobile Library needs to re-stock their library books and computer lab. Having supplies to keep being able to provide free services to local students is a constant operational struggle. The library serves thousands of students within San Juan del Sur and the surrounding region. All financial donations made to the library before December 24th, 2015 through our campaign will be matched both by the Library and San Juan Live so your donation goes a long way here! You can donate directly to the Mobile Library here. *501(c)3 certified donation.
4. Rancho Chilamate Christmas Bucket Drive – $200
Since it conception beloved Blue from Rancho Chilamate has been delivering Christmas buckets filled with food and household essentials to the communities of Escamequita, Las Parcels, Las Brisas, La Libertad and Ojo de Agua. In light of the crippling drought that has plagued Nicaragua this year, it is more important than ever that these vital supplies are delivered to families in the region. Each bucket costs $30 each. We’re looking for cowboys to step up and lend a helping hand with their pocket book. You can donate directly to Rancho Chilamate here.
5. Supplies for Manos Unidas co-op for People with Disabilities – $200
Manos Unidas is a cooperative for adults with disabilities in San Juan del Sur. The social mission is to foster friendships, individual independence and improve the quality of life for people with disabilities through the making and selling of fashionable tote bags made of repurposed rice bags. The program needs money for materials such as bag tags, fabric and sewing supplies. This program holds a special place in our hearts since Brooke is the co-founder. You can contribute to ongoing needs of this program by making a donation via San Juan Live’s Festive Funding page here.
Thank you in advance for your help!
It’s because of all of you that we’re able to support these worthy causes. We’re so grateful for each and every one of you for reading San Juan Live and supporting what we do.