San Juan del Sur, a vacation spot like no other. With beautiful beaches, gorgeous sunsets, big waves and lots of fun to be had in paradise, it is a place not to miss. Nicaragua has so much to offer travelers and San Juan del Sur is the icing on the cake.
Whether you are spending your entire vacation at the beach or traveling around, here are 7 ways to make sure you go home with amazing memories and nothing but good things to say about San Juan del Sur and Nicaragua.
- Don’t drink at breakfast. The beer is cheap, the rum is some of the best in the world, but pace yourself. It will still be there in the afternoon. Do not miss the waves because your head is pounding and your stomach is doing somersaults. Gallo pinto for breakfast. Beer and rum for after a long day in the surf.
- Use suntan lotion. Even if you think you are tanned. Fortunately, it is sunny in San Juan del Sur most of the time all day long. This is great for enjoying the surf and playing on the beach, but use your suntan lotion. Turning into a lobster on your first day will make for a painful rest of your trip. Better to be safe than sorry.
- Do not confine yourself to San Juan del Sur and the beautiful bay here. The region has many other opportunities for things to do closeby. Be adventurous and try something new. You can rent surfboards or boogie boards for a good day on the water. Or try a canopy tour and zip-line through the trees. For amazing pictures climb high up on the hill to the statue of Jesus or rent a ATV or motorcycle if you do not like hiking. For more ideas, check out these 101 things to do.
- Don’t bring your electronics out on the beach. These days everyone has an iPhone, an iPod and fancy sound systems. All of these seem like things you cannot leave home without, but be wary of the sand and water. The last thing you want on your vacation is your camera taking a swim with the fish.
- If something tastes wrong, do not keep eating. Nicaragua is full of interesting food choices but it is not what you eat at home. If something seems off, it is probably your body saying, “stop”. No one wants to spend the next few days racing to the nearest toilet instead of heading to the next sunny beach.
- Do not be afraid to practice your Spanish. Even if you are just learning, San Juan del Sur is a great place to immerse yourself in the culture. Many of the locals appreciate your attempt at their language and will help you along the way. If you are looking for a learning experience, there are several Spanish language schools that offer classes and activities for very reasonable rates.
- Shop around for accommodation. There are many quality places to stay depending on what you are looking for. Think about what’s important to you. Hostels are good for young vacationers on a budget, and there are many of them to choose from. There are also other options – like these vacation rentals – possibly better suited for families or couples that are looking for a different experience. Do not be afraid to spend the extra dollar to make your trip to San Juan del Sur perfect for you and your loved ones.